Journey of a new salon owner
If you want to be a salon owner there are certain things you need to know. Before you start your journey, get off on the right foot take a look at these tips with things you need to consider so you can build the business of your dreams.
Step 1 ask yourself…
- Why you want to have your own salon and be honest?
- Are you dreaming or just plain scheming? Cos either of these won’t work in the long term
- If you have a legitimate vision
- A sincere determination to be the very best
- Honest, realistic goals
You might want to start reading Step 2.
Step 2 think about…
- Who are you going to employ and why?
- They need to share the vision
- The team need different strengths
- There is no place for all friends and lovers in one team. It’s a professional working environment not a commune
Have you got a nucleus of a great team in mind then read on.
Step 3 do your research…
- Where are you going to be?
- Transport Links
- Don’t let your heart rule your head when it comes to choosing your salon. Location is every bit as important as building.
Have I put you off yet, ok it step 4.
Step 4 have discussions…
- What does your ideal customer base look like?
- What professions?
You need to know this to organise your marketing and promotional events.
So if you have all this sorted you can probably get started.
Step 5 time for action… Starting the Business
- Business plan
- Sufficient funding
- Know your accountant, budget for regular meetings. They will save you in the long run, don’t be afraid to change if you can’t get on with them
- Understand everything the bank and your accountant says to you. Yes they will have to repeat if necessary maybe several times
- Use Government Start up schemes
- Establish product suppliers
Step 6 more than the big day…Opening the business
- Starting and opening are two very different states, don’t be lulled into thinking that if you have worked really hard at Step 1 – Step 5 things will get easier once you are open. WRONG!
- Now you have to work really hard at self-promotion.
Check list in self promotion
- Opening party for businesses locally. This is not an occasion for all your mates to come and get drunk, it’s an opportunity for you and your team to socialise and connect with businesses which can be of mutual benefit
- Client indulgence evenings at LEAST once a month for 6 months
- Local charity link to involve the salon in hosting and participating in fund raising events. Once a quarter minimum for a year
- Fashion show held in month 3 or 4
- This all goes without saying that all of these events from preparation, promotion to the final event itself should be Twittered, Facebooked. Vined.
- Get on local radio as much as possible with these events
- Use local trade press
So now you have opened the salon, you’ve done a great job.
Your journey as a salon owner has begun, but let the hard work continue…
Penny Etheridge is MD of Radiant Hair Consultancy. A company she founded to provide as a one stop destination helping Salon Owners solve the issues that commonly face them today.
All NHF members will receive a 25% discount when engaging in Team Training or one to one coaching with Penny.