People are your greatest asset! Your salon and barbershops success will be down to the skill of your team, so recruiting, employing, keeping and motivating your staff is vital. The NHB can support you in every aspect of employing and managing people.
Our expert HR support ensures that you’re saving time and money on expensive legal fees with our industry specific knowledge and documentation.
This section covers:
- Guide to apprenticeships
- Guide to recruitment
- Template job description
- Example interview questions
- Application form template
- Guide to hiring a manager
Ready-to-use contracts, letters and policies
- Employment contracts
- Apprenticeship agreements/deeds (Scotland & N Ireland)
- Chair & room/area renting agreements
- Employee handbook
- Data protection policy for employees
- Bribery and corruption policy
- Employee contract letter
- Maternity leave & adoption leave acknowledgement letter
- Restrictive covenants template letters
Managing your team
- 24/7 employment law advice helpline
- Guide to employing people
- Staff handbook
- Guide to managing performance
- Performance appraisal template
- Guide to absence management and templates
- Employment attendance record
- Guide to prices, wages & profits
- Guide to NMW & NLW
- Guide to work place pensions
- 24/7 payroll helpline
- Guide to chair renting or employing staff
- Beauty health & safety toolkit
- Discount on employee benefits
- Salonfocus magazine with the latest news
Employment law support
- 24/7 employment law advice helpline
- Up to £50,000 automatic legal expenses insurance cover for employment disputes*
- Restrictive covenant enforcement advice and support
Courses & coaching
- Discounted rates for business and creative events
- 1:1 coaching
- 20% discount off employers’ liability insurance
- Quote & buy for immediate specialist cover
Lobbying for you
- Criteria for self-employment
- NMW & NLW
In addition to your free employment advice our helpline also provides support on queries relating to health & safety, tax, VAT, payroll and chair/room renting. (link each topic to their own page)
Please see below typical scenarios that we help our members with daily:
Q: What are my part-time therapists entitled to by law?
A: We’ll do the calculation for you to ensure that your employees holiday entitlement for the year is correct.
Q: I’m taking on my first employee so do I need Employers’ Liability insurance?
A: Yes, you do, and we offer a 20% discount for NBF Members on salon insurance.
National Minimum Wage:
Q: What is the correct NMW for my apprentice?
A: We’ll provide you with the correct rate for your employee and also send you our National Minimum and Living Wage guide, so you have the correct information to avoid being fined and publicly ‘named and shamed’.
Employing a new team member:
Q: I’m interviewing for a new member of staff can you help me?
A: We have a series of tools that help with your recruitment process from job descriptions to interview question, as well as our guide to recruitment to assist you.
Q: I have a member of staff that keeps ringing sick on a Saturday morning after being out on the Friday night.
A: Our employment/HR helpline can guide you through the necessary steps to take in handling sickness and absence of employees. We also have an absence management guide.
Enjoy immediate access to all NBF membership benefits by joining today. You can join us here, call us on 01234 831965 or email us. We’d be delighted to chat to you and answer your membership questions. Annual membership starts from just £269 for Salon Members.
*Important information about your legal expenses cover:
Worried about lawyers’ costs? As an NBF Member you are automatically registered in our Commercial Legal Expenses Scheme for employment and tax disputes.
This cover (free and part of your membership benefits) will pay your business legal costs up to £50,000*. The comprehensive cover extends to solicitors’ and barristers’ fees, court costs, expenses for Expert Witness and accountants’ fees (subject to normal policy terms, conditions and limitations being met). The policy may also pay the costs of appealing or defending an appeal.
The first £250 of costs and expenses in respect of any claim must be paid by you direct to the representative appointed to act for you as soon as a claim is accepted.