People are your greatest asset! Your salon and barbershops success will be down to the skill of your team, so recruiting, employing, keeping and motivating your staff is vital. The NHF can support you in every aspect of employing and managing people.
Our expert HR support ensures that you’re saving time and money on expensive legal fees with our industry specific knowledge and documentation.
This section covers:
- What’s included in your membership
- How we can help you
- What our members say
- Protect your business
- Join the NHF
Employment law support
- 24/7 employment law advice helpline
- Up to £50,000 automatic legal expenses insurance cover for employment disputes*
- Restrictive covenant enforcement advice and support
- Guide to apprenticeships
- Guide to recruitment
- Template job description
- Example interview questions
- Application form template
- Guide to hiring a manager
Ready-to-use contracts, letters and policies
- Employment contracts
- Apprenticeship agreements/deeds (Scotland & N Ireland)
- Chair & room/area renting agreements
- Employee handbook
- Data protection policy for employees
- Bribery and corruption policy
- Employee contract letter
- Maternity leave & adoption leave acknowledgement letter
- Restrictive covenants template letters
Managing your team
- 24/7 employment law advice helpline
- Guide to employing people
- Staff handbook
- Guide to managing performance
- Performance appraisal template
- Guide to absence management and templates
- Employment attendance record
- Guide to prices, wages & profits
- Guide to NMW & NLW
- Guide to work place pensions
- 24/7 payroll helpline
- Guide to chair renting or employing staff
- Health & safety toolkit (hair/beauty)
- Discount on employee benefits
- Salonfocus magazine with the latest news
- 20% discount off employers’ liability insurance
- Quote & buy for immediate specialist cover
Courses & coaching
- Discounted rates for business and creative events
- 1:1 coaching
Lobbying for you
- Criteria for self-employment
- NMW & NLW
In addition to your free employment advice our helpline also provides support on queries relating to health & safety, tax, VAT, payroll and chair/room renting. (link each topic to their own page)
Please see below typical scenarios that we help our members with daily:
Q: What are my part-time stylists entitled to by law?
A: We’ll do the calculation for you to ensure that your employees holiday entitlement for the year is correct.
Q: I’m taking on my first employee so do I need Employers’ Liability insurance?
A: Yes, you do, and we offer a 20% discount for NHF Members on salon insurance.
National Minimum Wage:
Q: What is the correct NMW for my apprentice?
A: We’ll provide you with the correct rate for your employee and also send you our National Minimum and Living Wage guide, so you have the correct information to avoid being fined and publicly ‘named and shamed’.
Employing a new team member:
Q: I’m interviewing for a new member of staff can you help me?
A: We have a series of tools that help with your recruitment process from job descriptions to interview question, as well as our guide to recruitment to assist you.
Q: I have a member of staff that keeps ringing sick on a Saturday morning after being out on the Friday night.
A: Our employment/HR helpline can guide you through the necessary steps to take in handling sickness and absence of employees. We also have an absence management guide.
“My NHF membership enabled me to win my case in court and claim compensation. When one of my employees broke his contract, NHF backed me up through its legal expenses insurance. They assigned me a lawyer and we took the case to court – the costs were covered thanks to my membership. We won, and I was awarded compensation.”
Victor Pajak, Owner Headquarter
Enjoy immediate access to all NHF membership benefits by joining today. You can join us here, call us on 01234 831965 or email us. We’d be delighted to chat to you and answer your membership questions. Annual membership starts from just £269 for Salon Members.
*Important information about your legal expenses cover:
Worried about lawyers’ costs? As an NHF Member you are automatically registered in our Commercial Legal Expenses Scheme for employment and tax disputes.