What we want
- Increases to the National Living Wage to be slowed down to reduce the impact on small businesses.
- Apprentices to be paid at the same rate regardless of age.
What have we achieved?
- Raised awareness of the common reasons for under-payment so helping salon owners comply with the law and reduce prosecutions, fines and government ‘naming and shaming’.
What are we doing?
- Calling for measures to reduce the impact of wage increases such as reducing VAT, increasing the Employment Allowance, reductions in business rates and National Insurance Contributions.
- Ensuring decision-makers understand the impact of big wage rises on small labour-intensive businesses.
- Raising awareness of the code of practice on tipping.
Improving your NMW knowledge
NHF Members have their say when we consult the hair & beauty industry voice on minimum wage to the Low Pay Commission. NHF membership gives you access to a range of valuable information if you have any queries or need any help in checking whether your employees are being paid the correct rate, including the National Minimum Wage guide.