Love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day is a marketing opportunity you can’t afford to ignore. It’s the second biggest gift-buying event of the year, surpassed only by Christmas, so make sure your hair, beauty or barber business makes the most of this retail event.
In this NHF blog post you’ll find 6 simple, yet effective, promotional ideas you can implement quickly in your salon business.
1. Identify your different Valentine audiences
First, identify your different target audiences (these are sometimes referred to as “segments” or “groups”). The main ones are: boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband, mums and singles.
Each marketing segment deserves a customised approach so craft a bespoke promotional message for each. What works for one Valentine audience will be a complete turn off for another. Of course, it is additional work for you, but it will repay dividends.
2. Marketing isn’t just for February 14th
February tends to be quiet in the hair and beauty industry so make the most of this marketing opportunity throughout the whole month.
Remember too that many of these Valentine marketing ideas in this blog post can be tweaked for use on Mother’s Day .
3. Create a Valentine marketing buzz on social media
Valentine’s Day is playful, frivolous and light-hearted – perfect for cranking up your social media marketing. Use it as a lively hook to build rapport, start conversations, enjoy humour, add value and share information.
Here are some social marketing ideas to try this February:
- Run a fun trivia quiz with a romance theme.
- Pop a love-inspired quote onto Facebook every day to the 14th.
- Pose a “What do you love most/hate most about Valentine’s?” question.
- Increase impact and Reach with Valentine graphics.
- Stage competitions to win a makeover, a couple’s treat, something for singletons…
- Step-by-step features. Try Valentine hair or how to give a back massage.
- Ask for stories on dreamy marriage proposals, love against the odds or tales of inspiring romance.
Remember says Alice Kirby of Lockhart Meyer Salon Marketing that “pumping out a relentless stream of promotional selling messages across your social channels will just turn clients off. Research reveals followers crave tips, advice and a relationship on social media. So ensure you’re marketing messages are wrapped up with plenty of “What’s in it for me” hair and beauty ideas and guidance.”
4. Can’t buy me love
Valentine’s has almost unlimited potential to increase your profit through retail.
- It’s raining men: Retail studies confirm men, on average, spend almost twice as much on a Valentine’s gift as women. For men looking for last-minute gifts with a twist create bespoke pampering packages. Always add a complimentary ‘bonus’ hair or beauty treatment to the package for that extra special customer service touch.
- Sow the retail seeds: Clients don’t always think of hair and beauty products as Valentine gifts. Use Valentine shelf-talkers and signage to help clients see your products and services as the perfect romantic present.
- Singletons: Don’t overlook singles. Valentine’s can be a time of crushing loneliness. Adopt an upbeat “spoil yourself” theme for singles throughout the month.
- For someone special: Salons often seem shy at promoting their Gift Cards. They make the ultimate pampering gift for both sexes, so advertise them hard in salon with a Valentine’s theme.
- Seeing red: Use red stickers, tags and signage. Science confirms red makes us buy more retail as we associate it with a bargain.
5. Share the love with your hair & beauty clients
Nothing says “We love your business. You’re valued,” better than a freebie.
Who doesn’t enjoy giving family or friends a complimentary treat? Valentine’s is the perfect excuse for this twist on the traditional Recommend a Friend scheme. Simply send your highest spenders a salon Gift Card to give to someone they know (who hasn’t visited your salon before).
It’s win-win. You find new clients, and your loyal big-spenders get to give a pampering gift.
|Creating the right customer experience is essential to a successful Valentine promotion.
NHF Members can download our free “Guide to delivering an outstanding client experience” here.
6. Cheap & cheerful salon promotions for Valentine’s
Your salon premises are an (almost) free Valentine advertising and opportunity.
- Make your windows work extra hard for you. Don’t just decorate your windows with mass-produced posters from product manufacturers. Instead, ask your designer to create eye-catching posters and graphics produced promoting your hair & beauty February offers.
- Not all Local Authorities allow A-boards. However, if you can have one outside your premises it does let you make the most of passing footfall. Invest in a good quality one, keep it spotless and use professionally designed bespoke graphics.
- Use photo frames in-salon with adverts promoting your Valentine offers and Gift Cards. And always remember to pop something on your washroom wall. It’s free and effective advertising.
Be my salon Valentine
Britons are predicted to spend a staggering one billion pounds on Valentine's Day gifts this year. Your hair & beauty salon or barbershop is ideally placed to offer thoughtful gifts with a personal touch; make sure you don’t miss out on this superb promotional opportunity.
The NHF run business events throughout the country to help you run a successful hair or beauty business.